The foreskin has twelve known functions.
- to cover and bond with the synechia so as to permit the development of the mucosal surface of the glans and inner foreskin.
- to protect the infant's glans from feces and ammonia in diapers.
- to protect the glans penis from friction and abrasion throughout life.
- to keep the glans moisturized and soft with emollient oils.
- to lubricate the glans.
- to coat the glans with a waxy protective substance.
- to provide sufficient skin to cover an erection by unfolding.
- to provide an aid to masturbation and foreplay.
- to serve as an aid to penetration.
- to reduce friction and chafing during intercourse.
- to serve as erogenous tissue because of its rich supply of erogenous receptors.
- to contact and stimulate the G-spot of the female partner.
The above list was compiled from various sources by George Hill.